Stop, park, but don't roll

The Tesla drive unit only has Forward, Reverse and Neutral. There is no Parking pawl. On a real Tesla there are electric worm-drive parking brake calipers that clamp down on the rear discs when park is engaged and stay there even when power is cut. Paul adapted those to his car because he was already fabricating new caliper mounts for his Wilwood upgrade but I'm sticking with stock brakes so that wasn't an option for me. Initially I thought I'd just flash a "Pull Hand Brake" type message on the dash app when you engaged Park but I found a better solution with a product called eStopp.

The eStopp electric parking brake installed on my car

It is a linear actuator and control module that pulls to 600 pounds and then stops. Being a worm-driven linear actuator, it stays in place when power is cut. It is designed for hot rods, etc and comes with a push button for operation but it was a simple task to adapt the electronics to my new shifter mechanism. Fitting it to the car took a bit of planning since I didn't want the parking brake cables to hang below the rear suspension crossmember. In the end, I opted to drill two holes through the lower portion of the crossmember for the cables and fabricated a bracket that attached to the previously fabricated brace in the trans tunnel. 

I ran the parking brake cables through the rear crossmember to keep them from scraping on speed bumps

Fully installed on the tunnel brace

Solid and effective.  The car won't roll anywhere now when in park and it uses the original parking brake shoes in the stock disc rotors and just mimics pulling the hand brake (which is now gone).

The two parking brake cables come together and are pulled with a equalizing bar

No more parking brake handle

I removed the parking brake tubes and handbrake mount and filled in the hole in the tunnel, cut the cables, swedged on a couple cable ends, and now the car won't roll when it is put into park. Check it out below (ignore the banging -- that's elsewhere in the shop):



Popular posts from this blog

Different strokes

Love that battery

Going Analog in a Digital World