Getting the shaft

The Franken half shafts arrived from the Driveshaft Shop and they look great.  These have Tesla inner CV joints with BMW outer CVs, made to the custom length I measured for my application.  

Custom halfshafts, half Tesla, half BMW

But when I went to install them I noticed that the axle seals on the Tesla motor/diff were damaged so I had to order new seals before installing the axles.  Ordering Tesla parts is essentially impossible so I had to measure the seals and contact a variety of seal and o-ring distributors trying to locate a pair.  Eventually, I resorted to an eBay listing for the Tesla part number (1065932-00-A).  $100 later I had two stupid little seals installed and ready to go.  

The shafts installed as expected -- not easily because they have a spring clip on the inside, but with a bit of persuasion they went in and fit perfectly.  One more problem solved.  That allowed me to fill the drive unit with Dextron fluid and it is ready to spin now.

The old BMW end of things

Spring clip holds splines into Tesla diff

Damaged at some point during drive unit installation.  It was only the wiper portion and probably would've sealed but why risk it?

$49.95 each

Installed and reach at full droop



Popular posts from this blog

Different strokes

Love that battery

Going Analog in a Digital World