Scope Creep

I bought a "nice from 15 feet" 73 Baikal Blue USA Automatic coupe off eBay back in 2015. My wife and I drove it home from NorCal but the secondaries were stuck closed in the Webers and the trans wouldn't kick down. I spent a few years fixing little things and driving it. It was fine but there was some rust (spare tire, right rear floor, rocker rear corners) and it smoked a bit on deceleration so I decided to embark on a motor upgrade and undercarriage cleanup, without messing with paintwork yet. I'd save that for a full resto at a later date.

Difficult to admit, but this is the "before" photo

At least that was the original plan.  I started assembling all the bits for a M30B35 swap. I got most all the parts together and took the car to the SoCal Vintage meet in November 2018 before driving it home and beginning disassembly for the heart transplant. I was thinking I'd get it done over the holiday break. One thing led to another (unexpected rust, a "while I'm in there" attitude, and a desire to "do it right") and before you knew it I had built a chassis dolly and sent it off for media blasting.

Ready for media blasting


After media blasting outside panels

Factory undercoat was tough to blast off

Note rust in spare tire well and cut outs in floor

Body is straight, just a bit rusty here and there, as all e9s are 

Black epoxy primer to keep it from rusting inside and out

Clean shock towers show how solid this car is

Popular posts from this blog

Different strokes

One CSE on the Road

Going Analog in a Digital World